Mount Jackson Museum Exhibit now at Visitor Center
An interesting collection of artifacts from the Mt. Jackson Museum have been placed on display at the Historic 1795 Court House Visitor Center. The exhibit will be in the Center through June. To see their complete offering, stop by the Museum at the Mt. Jackson Town Center on Main Street in Mt. Jackson. The Museum is open Thursdays & Fridays 1-4 p.m. and Saturdays 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. During January and February, it is open on Saturdays from 1-4 PM. The museum at the Town Center has exhibits on 2 levels of the building that contain Civil War artifacts, Bird Haven items from the Basye area, paintings, face jugs, Buck Ryan memorabilia, furniture and clothing from the Rinker families and much more. A recent acquisition is the loan from the Tisinger Estate of a painted blanket chest dated 1789 with floral decorations and lettering of the German spelling of Tisinger-Deisinger. Triplett High School is also well represented in their displays. Volunteers are welcomed. Be sure to put a visit to the museum on your schedule.
1795 Swiss guard weathervane back at Old Courthouse
Since SCHS began planning for the visitor’s center and museum at the historic courthouse in 2013, we have hoped to be able to exhibit portions of the elaborate, original 1795 weather vane, already in our possession, with the figure from the weather vane. The two were separated many years ago when the original, damaged vane was removed and a replica erected on top of the courthouse. Most of the pieces were stored but the figure, often referred to as a Swiss Guard, was given for safekeeping to the Woodstock Library.